Frequently Asked Questions
Our goal is to help you make better barbecue. Have a question? Check here first.
Can’t find what you need? Just send us a note.
WHICH SLOW ’N SEAR® INSERT SHOULD I BUY?
How does the Slow 'N Sear® work?
Is there a Slow 'N Sear® that will work in a Weber Ranch Kettle?
Is there a Slow 'N Sear® that will work in a Weber Summit® Charcoal grill?
- The previously produced Slow 'N Sear Low Profile has been discontinued. However, the Slow 'N Sear® Charcoal Basket will work. It does not have a water reservoir, so a pan with water is needed for low 'n slow cooks.
How many different Slow 'N Sear® sizes are available?
How do I know if a Slow ‘N Sear® will fit?
- The dimensions for the original Slow ‘N Sear®, the Deluxe, the Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket and the XL are shown below. Compare these specifications to your grill’s dimensions. Keep in mind that height (charcoal grate-to-food grate distance) is just as important as length and width.
- Slow ‘N Sear® Original & Deluxe:
- Length: 21”
- Depth: 8½”
- Height: 4¾”
- Slow ‘N Sear® XL:
- Length: 23¾″
- Depth: 9½″
- Height: 4¾″
- Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket:
- Length: 15¾”
- Depth: 8⅜”
- Height: 3⅜”
Will you be making a Slow 'N Sear® to fit other grills?
- We have a number of products in development, many of which originated through customer feedback.
At this time, we do not have a Slow 'N Sear® insert available for the following grills:
- Big Green Egg®, Kamado Joe, Primo, etc (any size)*
- PK Grill (any size)
- Dancook® grill (any size)
- Weber Smokey Joe®
- Weber Go-Anywhere
- Char-Broil® Kettleman®
- STOK Drum™
- We encourage you to contact us with any special customization requests and to sign up for our email newsletter to be the first to know about all new product releases.
HELP! I THINK MY SLOW ’N SEAR® MAY HAVE A PROBLEM.
I can't get my kettle with the Slow 'N Sear® hot enough (350°+ F).
The two key needs for any hot fire are fuel (charcoal/wood) and air. If your fire isn’t getting enough of either of these, you won’t be able to reach higher temperatures. You can easily achieve 400+ F on the indirect side with the right set up. A couple tips:
- Start with 1/2 to full chimney of fully lit charcoal, depending on how hot and how long you’re going to cook. Small piles of “starter” coals like what is used for low ‘n slow heat will never get your grill up to temperature.
- Open up your vents, and more importantly, make sure they aren’t clogged with ash.
- Keep your charcoal dry. If stored outside, or in a very humid environment, it may not burn as well as dry briquets.
My Slow 'N Sear® won't get down to 225° F.
To us, “low ‘n slow” means 225° – 250° F. If your grill is settling in at 240°-250° F, don’t fight it! The food will still be amazing (and be done just a little quicker!). If you’re struggling just to get into the 225° – 250° range, here are a few tips:
- Don’t be afraid to close down your vents until they look almost closed. The Slow ‘N Sear® makes charcoal burn much more efficiently and doesn’t need as much air as you may be used to.
- Check your lid for leaks. If you’re seeing smoke pour out from the sides of the kettle, you have a leaky lid. We regularly use binder clips on our kettles. Here’s a video to show you how they work.
- Your lid may also be out of round. Lay it on a flat surface and see if it rocks in any direction. If so, give your lid a gentle “hug” to get it back into shape.
- If you’ve overshot your desired temperature and are looking to cool the coals down quickly, take a spray bottle filled with water to the coals.
Keep in mind, the Slow ‘N Sear® is a tool that makes steam, heat, and smoke production more consistent but it does not provide air control. See our lighting instructions and temperature maintenance page for tips and techniques for mastering temperature control. Getting to know your kettle and the specifics of air flow with your particular grill will have you achieving a high level of temperature control in no time!
It appears my water reservoir is leaking. Do I have a faulty product?
Should your Slow ‘N Sear® have a leak, we will absolutely replace it. Every single Slow ‘N Sear® is water tested before leaving our manufacturing facility.
However, most likely, everything is fine with your Slow ‘N Sear®. The incredibly humid environment created during a low ‘n slow cook creates condensation that makes it appear that the reservoir is leaking. To confirm that your reservoir is still water tight, after the cook when the Slow ‘N Sear® has cooled, place it on a table and fill the reservoir with water to check for leaks.
My water reservoir warped during my last cook. Is this normal?
- It is not uncommon for the water reservoir to warp during a high-heat cook. Afterward, it will return to its normal shape. This is a natural characteristic of stainless steel and should not cause any alarm. After numerous cooks, you may find the Slow ‘N Sear® retains a small curvature in the water reservoir. This is also normal and has no effect on the water reservoir capacity or function.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ORIGINAL SLOW 'N SEAR®?
How is the original Slow 'N Sear® different from the Slow 'N Sear® Deluxe?
- The water reservoir is attached and non-removable
- The bottom is open and sits directly on the grate
- Outer dimensions are unchanged
What grills work with the original Slow 'N Sear®?
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SLOW 'N SEAR® DELUXE?
Why a new version?
- Changes to the manufacturing process allowed us to update the design, maintain the same price, and deliver the same performance and quality of the Slow ‘N Sear® Plus.
How is the Slow 'N Sear® Deluxe different from the Slow 'N Sear® Plus and the original?
- Aside from the removable reservoir, functionally, they are similar in performance. Outer dimensions are unchanged.
Can I take out the water reservoir during a low 'n slow cook so it can hold more coals?
- We don’t recommend it. While it’s the perfect place to hold water, the reservoir also functions as a double-wall barrier between the coals and the indirect side of the grill. Removing the reservoir during an indirect cook will create “hot spots” on the indirect zone that would not be present with the reservoir in place.
What's the difference between 430 and 304 stainless steel?
- Type 430 stainless steel is made up of 17 percent chromium and 0.12 percent carbon while 304 stainless steel contains 18 percent chromium and 0.08 percent carbon. Both are high quality steels that are resistant to rust and corrosion and can withstand the extreme temperatures created by the Slow ‘N Sear and will provide many years of use. Our warranty remains the same.
Will you be making the Slow 'N Sear® Plus again?
- The Slow ‘N Sear® Deluxe replaces this product. The Slow ‘N Sear® Plus has been discontinued. Warranties on it will continue to be honored.
What are the dimensions of the Slow 'N Sear® Deluxe?
- The Slow ‘N Sear® Deluxe is 21 inches wide x 4¾ inches high x 8½ inches deep.
What grills work with the Slow 'N Sear® Deluxe?
Can I use an automated controller fan, such as an Auber or BBQ Guru with the Slow 'N Sear®?
- Certainly! We use one occasionally ourselves. The Slow ‘N Sear® is designed to hold steady temps and be easy to use right out of the box without additional equipment so you may find you don’t need one. Follow our lighting and temp maintenance instructions for hassle-free cooks of 8+ hours – no fans needed!
Can I use lump charcoal, or even straight wood, with the Slow 'N Sear®?
- Certainly! The Slow ‘N Sear® will burn any fuel that can be used in a kettle. If you’re planning on using straight wood, we suggest you pre-burn the wood until it gives off clean smoke otherwise you are at risk of oversmoking. What’s clean smoke? Read this.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SLOW 'N SEAR® CHARCOAL BASKET?
What are the dimensions of the Slow 'N Sear® Charcoal Basket?
- The Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket is 15¾ inches wide x 3⅜ inches high x 8⅜ inches deep.
Where is the water reservoir?
- Space limitations in 18” kettles/Jumbo Joe® prevent us from being able to include a vertical water reservoir that would be safe to fill and not take up too much indirect cooking space. We’ve incorporated a similar double-wall barrier in the Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket to create a two-zone cooking environment and it works great! A water pan on top of the coals can provide moisture during a cook, if needed.
How is the Slow 'N Sear® Charcoal Basket any different than the charcoal baskets I use/came with my grill/I see in the store?
- The Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket was designed to bring the range of hassle-free cooking experiences that the Slow ‘N Sear® provides to smaller grills. The first thing you’ll notice is that the Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket is MUCH bigger than standard charcoal baskets. The Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket holds twice as much fuel meaning longer burn time for low ‘n slow cooks, and a larger sear zone. You’ll also notice that the Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket has a double wall barrier between the fuel and the indirect cooking surface of the grill. This helps keep temperatures stable and prevents “hot spots” on the indirect side.
Can I use the Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket in a 22″ kettle?
Yes, but you won’t get the same performance of the standard Slow ‘N Sear®. Not only does the Charcoal Basket have a smaller diameter/capacity, it’s shorter than the Slow ‘N Sear®. The lower height of the Basket will not be as effective in creating a uniform thermal barrier between the coals and the indirect side of the grill, therefore you may see warmer pit temperatures the closer you get to the coals. That said, the Charcoal Basket is an excellent introduction to the capabilities of the Slow ‘N Sear® and will give you a taste of the full possibilities the Slow ‘N Sear® offers.
What grills work with the Slow 'N Sear® Charcoal Basket?
- 18” Weber® Kettle
- 18" Weber® Smokey Mountain
- Weber Jumbo Joe®
- 22” Jumbo Joe® Premium
- Weber® 57 cm Compact Kettle
- Weber® Summit Charcoal
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SLOW 'N SEAR® KAMADO?
Why a Kamado?
Our mission is to bring products to market that fulfill an unmet need. The #1 request for a Slow ‘N Sear® in a different grill type is for kamado cookers. That request, and our own experience, shows that there is a desire among kamado users for true two-zone cooking. With the Slow ‘N Sear® we deliver proven, effective, reliable two-zone cooking. It excels at low ‘n slow and high-heat searing and it easy to switch between them, something that existing kamados can’t do.
The other issue with kamado cookers is their inability to deliver true smoke flavor. Due to the efficiency of kamados, it’s difficult to dial in low ‘n slow temperatures (225° F) without smoldering the coals. The end result is often bitter smoke and little smoke ring. With TurboSlow™ technology, we’ve developed a way to increase airflow (and amplify smoke flavor) without overshooting low ‘n slow cooking temperatures.
What type of charcoal is recommended? Do I have to use lump?
- We designed the Slow ‘N Sear® Kamado to accommodate both lump charcoal and briquettes, feel free to use whatever you’re most comfortable with.
Can I use the kamado in a "standard" low 'n slow cooking configuration with charcoal on a lower grate and a diffuser plate?
Yes! The deluxe kamado comes standard with a lower cast iron charcoal grate and a ceramic diffuser plate should you wish to use the entire upper cooking grate to hold food.
That said, with our Elevated Cooking Grate and the Slow ‘N Sear® installed, you’re not losing any cooking space AND you get the added benefit of easy access to the coals if you need to refill or want to quickly switch to high-heat searing.
I've heard ceramic grills can crack under high heat. Is this a concern with this grill?
- Not at all. We use Cordierite ceramic in our grill which has a very high thermal resistance. We want you to enjoy all the high heat grilling and searing that the Slow ‘N Sear® offers without concern for the durability of your grill. You may notice some slight imperfections in the finish of your grill, but this is just a by-product of the manufacturing process and in no way affects the performance or durability of your grill.
Is there a port for thermometer probes?
- Our high quality, thick felt gasket safely and securely accommodates thermometer probe wires without damage to the probes or air leaks into the grill. No latch required!
Can I use a thermostatic controller with this grill?
- Yes! The bottom intake vent is a standard size that will accommodate many different types of controllers already on the market.
Will the kamado be available internationally?
- All international kamado sales will be direct through our re-sellers. We will not be shipping any kamados direct to customers outside the U.S. If you’re interested in getting a kamado outside of the US, please visit our Shipping & Where to Buy page for a list of our current retail partners. Let them know you have an interest to encourage them placing an order and accurately manage stock levels. (Note: pricing and any offered promotions are at the full discretion of each re-seller.)
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MAVERICK XR-50 THERMOMETER?
Does the XR-50 have the capability to connect to an app via WiFi or Bluetooth?
- Certainly not! This thermometer was built to be rugged, durable, easy to use, and HIGHLY reliable. WiFi and Bluetooth have short range, rely on additional equipment, are prone to break with software updates, and your thermometer becomes a paperweight when the manufacturer decides to move onto a new model and stops supporting your old model. The XR-50 is a self contained unit that gives you everything you need and want in an everyday thermometer right out of the box!
How often does the base unit communicate to the remote unit?
- With INSTA-SYNC® technology, the base unit communicates to the remote unit almost immediately once the units are turned on and every 20 seconds afterward. You’ll enjoy instant turn-on connectivity and a much reduced false alarm rate when the receiver gets close to its range limit.
Is there a warning to let me know if the remote loses connection to the base unit?
- Yes. If connection to the base unit is lost for 48 seconds, the remote screen will start to flash. The remote unit will continue to try to connect to the base for 3 minutes (the screen will continue flashing). After three minutes without a connection, the remote unit will emit an audible alarm. [SnS note: we designed and LOVE this feature! It eliminates annoying alarm sounds when there is a temporary loss of connection, and waits until there is a defined “crisis point” before letting you know the connection has been disabled.]
Is there a way for me to check my thermometer if I'm concerned about inaccurate readings?
- To test the accuracy of the thermometer, immerse the probes first in ice water (temperature should read 32 F) and then boiling water (temperature should read 212 F at sea level). If the reported temperatures vary greatly from these standards, contact Maverick for additional troubleshooting and customer support.
How long will the batteries last?
- Under normal use, even cheap AAA batteries should last over a month. When needing to be replaced, the base unit and receiver use two standard AAA batteries each.
Where can I get replacement probes?
QUESTIONS ABOUT OTHER ACCESSORIES?
Are you going to make the EasySpin™ Grill Grate for the 26" kettle?
- At this time, the 22″ grate is the only size available. We recently sold out of the 26″ grates, and we are not sure when we’ll have them available again.
What's the difference between stainless steel and nickel-plated steel on the Elevated Cooking Grate?
Stainless steel: we use heavy-duty 304 stainless in this product providing long term durability and reliability. This product will last for decades.
Nickel-plated: a less expensive steel covered with a nickel finish. Durable, but may scratch or chip after a few years of use, especially when exposed to direct flame of a high heat sear. This version is no longer available.
- Width (not including handles): 19 inches
- Depth: 11¾ inches
- Wall height: 1½ inches
- Wall height (with handles): 3½ inches
SHIPPING AND RETURNS
What is your return policy?
- We guarantee that you will be completely satisfied with your purchase. If within 30 days of receiving your original Slow 'N Sear®, Slow ‘N Sear® Deluxe, Slow ‘N Sear® Charcoal Basket, Grill Grates, Drip ‘N Griddle Pan or 22″ EasySpin Grill Grate, you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you can return the product(s) to us and we will refund your full product purchase price including any applicable taxes. 30-day satisfaction guaranteed refunds are only honored when you have contacted us at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the 30-day window expiring and have been issued a return merchandise authorization (RMA) number. Return shipping charges to send your product back to SnS Grills are the sole responsibility of the purchaser.
Do your products have a warranty?
- Yes. Warranty coverage and details on filing a claim can be found here.
I just placed my order. When will I receive it?
- All orders received before 3pm Eastern will ship same-day, Monday – Friday (excluding major holidays). Orders received after 3pm Eastern will ship the next business day. For orders shipping via FedEx Home Delivery, please use the FedEx Home Delivery map to view estimated transit time once the package leaves our facility.
Is shipping currently available outside of the USA?
- We are happy to ship world-wide. Our checkout is currently configured for orders going to the U.S. (including APO/FPO & Puerto Rico), Canada, U.K., Australia and many other countries around the world. We do have distributors in numerous international locations which may save some money and provide faster delivery. You can find that list on our "Shipping & Where to Buy" page. If local distribution doesn’t exist for your location, please contact us for a shipping quote.
Is expedited shipping available?
- Yes! At checkout you will be presented with the standard Home Delivery shipping option and additional FedEx Express services including overnight and 2-day shipping.
For general grilling questions and to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge of all our users, we invite you to visit our closed Facebook Group: Slow 'N Sear® - Owners and Fans.