Surf 'N Turf: Lobster & Filet Mignon Recipe
Surf 'N Turf is the “Classic Date Night Meal.” For this recipe, we brought in Greg from Ballistic BBQ. I selected filet mignon as the “turf” and lobster tail as the “surf,” but of course any type of steak or shellfish will do fine. I used the Slow ’N Sear® Kamado to cook this dish, using a traditional “reverse sear” technique.
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus overnight dry-brine
Cook Time: 55 minutes • Serves 2
- (2) 10 ounce filets (any size will do)
- (1) 8 ounce lobster, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarse ground kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
PrepOne day before your cook, season the steaks with kosher salt, on all sides. Use about as much salt as you would if you were just going to toss them on the grill immediately. Place steaks on a cooling rack, then refrigerate overnight. I suggest using a cookie sheet under the rack to prevent juices from dripping onto the shelves of your fridge.
- Remove the steaks from your fridge about 1 hour prior to your cook to allow them to come up to room temperature.
- 15 minutes prior to your cook, light 25 charcoal briquettes in a charcoal chimney.
- Dump lit briquettes in Slow 'N Sear®, making sure they are spread-out evenly.
- Place your remote thermometer on the cooking grate, on the indirect side, away from the Slow 'N Sear®.
- Close the lid and adjust the top damper to #2, and close the lower damper to a little less than ¼” (6.35mm).
- You’re looking for a temperature between 200ºF (93.3ºC) and 225ºF (107.2ºC).
- Place steaks on the indirect side of the cooking grate, temperature probes in the center of each steak.
- Flip the steaks once the internal temperature reaches 80ºF (26.7ºC).
- Continue monitoring the temperature, and remove steaks from the grill once they reach an internal temperature of 125ºF (51.7ºC).
- While steaks rest, prepare and light a full chimney of briquettes.
- Once briquettes are fully lit, dump and spread them evenly inside of the Slow 'N Sear®.
- After the grill is ready, blot any liquid off of all sides of the steaks with a folded paper towel.
- Rub a little olive oil on all sides of the steaks and season with black pepper.
- Season the lobster with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh lime juice and fresh lemon juice.
- Grill the steaks over the Slow 'N Sear® on the actual “sides” of the steaks for 35-40 seconds. Then the “top” and bottom” for about 1 minute per side. Remove from the grill and allow to rest.
- While steaks are resting, place lobster, flesh side down on the grill. Grill for about 4 ½ minutes, then flip and baste with a little melted butter. Close the lid on your kamado during this process of the cook.
- Grill for an additional 4 - 4½ minutes.